Thursday, September 3, 2009

Art and the Wondeful Andy Warhol!

Mike and me spent last Saturday in Forest Park and we went the Art Museum there. I have been a big fan of Andy Warhol since pretty much the beginning of time, so to my pleasant surprise they not only had one of his original paintings(screen printing)

but they had a gift shop full of Andy Warhol stuff! I was in heaven! I just wish I had the money to buy it, but oh well that will come. I am oddly obsessed with him (I get all exciting inside just thinking about him and the impact he has had on art)
Here are some fun Andy facts:
* He worked as an illustrator for Vogue (along with other magazines)
* His last name is really Warhola
* Valerie Solanis, founder and sole member of SCUM (Society for Cutting Up Men) walked into Warhol's studio, known as the Factory, and shot the artist. The attack was nearly fatal.
* Warhol also published The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (from A to B and Back Again)
* He also created two cable television shows, "Andy Warhol's TV" in 1982 and "Andy Warhol's Fifteen Minutes" for MTV in 1986
* Following routine gall bladder surgery, Andy Warhol died February 22, 1987
* He is the King of Pop Art!!
Needless to say Andy Warhol is awesome and I love him!

Here are a couple of other neat things we saw...
if you look close this paining is made up of house hold items
and this was a replica of a big pink balloon bunny

1 comment:

Katie Wolfley said...

Danie it looks like you two are having so much fun. I can't wait until you come back to Washington, I miss you!